Loropetalum chinense is a beautiful winter flowering shrub.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Loropetalum chinense
Family : Hamamelidaceae
Type : Shrub
Height : 1.5 to 2 m
Exposure : Sunny, partial shade
Ground : Rather rich
Foliage : Persistent -Flowering : February to April
Here are our maintenance tips to improve flowering and development.
Planting Loropetalum chinense
Planting loropetalum chinense is best done in autumn but, purchased in pots or containers, you can plant in spring or summer, avoiding periods of frost or high temperatures.
- Loropetalum chinense likes the Sun, mostly in winter, but he dreads it if it's too hot in the summer
- A light shade the afternoon in summer is ideal
- By installing your loropetalum chinense sheltered from cold winds, you will prolong their winter flowering
- Follow our advice planting shrubs.
Loropetalum chinense in pot:
Loropetalum chinense is a shrub that is ideal for container culture.
If you are lucky enough to have a patio that can accommodate a large pot, you may be able to grow Loropetalum chinense in a pot because it grows slowly and its "adult" size is relatively small.
It should also be noted that Loropetalum chinense is particularly resistant to cold and that culture in pots is therefore very suitable.
- Make sure you have good drainage
- Fill the pot with good potting soil
- Add fertilizer once a year
- Water in case of hot weather or prolonged drought because in pots the water needs are more frequent
Caring for loropetalum chinense
Caring for loropetalum chinense is easy and its rusticity makes it almost immune to most diseases but also to attacks from insects and parasites.
- No pruning is really necessary, as its growth is relatively slow.
- Remove dry and / or dead wood as you go, especially at the end of summer
- If you need to rebalance or reduce the branches, wait until the end of flowering instead.
Watering loropetalum chinense
Loropetalum chinense should be watered regularly during hot weather and for the first 2 years after planting.
In winter, if it really isn't raining and the soil is dry, water outside of frost periods to ensure good flowering.
- In summer, always prefer watering in the evening to prevent the water from evaporating.
- In winter, rather water during the day and never in the evening
- Water should only be watered in winter if it is not freezing
All you need to know about Loropetalum chinense
The flowers of Loropetalum chinense are remarkable for their originality and their perfume and especially because they appear beautiful middle of winter.
Loropetalum chinense does not always shed its leaves, it will depend on the region.
Maintenance and affluent culture, this shrub particularly finds its place when it is planted in isolation but one can also easily imagine it in the middle of a varied hedge.
- He is considered one of the most beautiful winter flowering shrubs and no one should contradict it!
Loropetalum chinense is ideal for a little garden because, apart from the fact that it has a reasonable adult size, its growth is relatively slow.
Note at the end that it is enough insensitive to diseases and parasites which makes it a very easy to maintain tree.
A mulch based onpine bark is recommended.
The acidity they contain promotes the development of witch hazel and maintains moisture.
© scott zona