Here is the recipe for marsh duck with ginger and its spiced butter mash, an invitation to explore.
Preparation : 40 min
Cooking : 2 h 40 min
Rest : 2 h 15 min
Ingredients for 6 people:
- 85 g semi-salted butter
- ½ tsp. coffee ofcinnamon in powder
- ½ tsp. Espelette pepper
- ½ tsp. teaspoon of turmeric
- 4 pink onions
- 2 oranges
- 1 duck marshes (2.5 to 3 kg)
- 150 g of agave syrup
- 1 ginger fresh
- 20 cl of orange juice
- 25 cl of white wine
- 10 cl of water
- 800 g of potatoes
- 10 cl of milk
- 1 egg yolk
- Fleur de sel, freshly ground pepper
Marsh duck with ginger and spice butter mash
- Remove 60 g of butter from the refrigerator 1 hour before use.
In a salad bowl,
- Work the butter with a fork until it takes on the consistency of an ointment.
- Stir in the spices.
- Mix until you get a smooth texture.
- Place the butter thus composed on cling film and shape into a roll, taking care to close the ends well.
- Leave to rest in the fridge for 1h15.
Preparation of the duck:
Preheat the oven to 180 ° C (th.6).
- Peel and cut the onions in half.
- Wash and cut the oranges in half.
- Rub the duck with the fleur de sel or, failing that, with coarse salt (then remove the excess coarse salt).
In a pot,
- pour in the agave syrup and grate the equivalent of a teaspoon. tablespoons of fresh ginger. Infuse over low heat and cover for 15 minutes.
- Add the remaining 25 g of butter cut into small pieces.
- Reduce, then pour in the orange juice and white wine.
- Reduce this sauce until it becomes syrupy.
In a dish,
- Arrange the duck, oranges and onions.
- Coat the duck with a third of the ginger syrup.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
At the end of this time, add 10 cl of water and cover the duck with a sheet of aluminum foil. Cook for 1 hour, checking regularly for doneness and if necessary sprinkle with water.
Finish cooking the duck by removing the aluminum foil and coating it with the remaining syrup. Continue cooking for 40 minutes. The duck must be well colored.
At the end of cooking the duck, prepare the puree:
- Peel, wash and cook the potatoes in salted water for 25 minutes.
- Mash the mashed potatoes and add the spice butter, milk and egg yolk.
- Season with fleur de sel and pepper.
- Mix well and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Remove the duck from the oven, filter the cooking juices and place it in a gravy boat.
Present the duck in a dish with the onions and oranges, the mash in cups decorated with its spice butter.
Serve piping hot.
It takes 20 to 25 minutes of cooking per 450 to 500 g of duck.
Recipe: A. Beauvais, Photo: F. Hamel