A must-have recipe when you love cabbage, stuffed cabbage is the perfect match for meat and vegetables.
Ingredients for 6 people:
- 1 beautiful kale
- 2 carrots
- 2 onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 500 g of stuffing meat (veal or pork)
- 1 egg
- 2 slices of bread
- 50 cl of chicken broth
- Salt, freshly ground pepper
Cabbage leaves give the stuffing a really delicious flavor.
Stuffed cabbage recipe
The stuffed cabbage recipe is usually done in the fall and winter, during the cabbage harvest period and when the long evenings invite you to rediscover the dishes that warm us up.
- Start by removing the largest leaves, these are the top ones and generally the greenest
- Boil a large saucepan of salted water and blanch the cabbage, plunging it in for 10 minutes
- Take out the cabbage and immediately put it under cold water
- Drain well until there is no more water
Preparation of the stuffing:
- Peel and cut the carrot into small julienne
- Peel and finely chop the onion
- Peel and crush the garlic
- Crush the bread
- Mix it all into the stuffing
- Add the whole egg and mix the stuffing vigorously
- Salt and pepper
Assemble the small stuffed cabbage:
- Gently remove the larger leaves from the cabbage without damaging them
- For each stuffing there will be 2 to 3 cabbage leaves and you must plan at least 2 stuffed cabbage per person
- On a board, layer 3 cabbage leaves
- Place the stuffing on top
- Close with a wooden stick type toothpick or culinary wire if you prefer (this 2nd solution is better for cooking but it is less practical when serving)
Cooking stuffed cabbage:
In a large pot, melt the butter with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Brown each stuffing in all directions
- Pour in the chicken stock so as to cover the bottom for 1 to 2 cm
- Cover and leave to cook for 25 min, adding more broth regularly to maintain the same level
Cooking can also be done in the oven in a deep dish by placing the stuffed stuffs and leaving it to cook for 25 min at 200 °
Enjoy your meal !
Smart tip about stuffed cabbage
Even warmed up, stuffed cabbage is delicious!
To do this, place the stuffed cabbage in a casserole dish with a little water at the bottom and heat the dish over low heat to prevent it sticking.