The weigelia is a magnificent shrub that blooms in spring, to be installed in a hedge or isolated.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Weigela
Family : Caprifoliaceae
Type : Shrub
Height : 1 to 2 m
Exposure : Sun and partial shade
Ground : Rich enough
Foliage : Expired -Flowering : April to June
Planting, caring for and pruning weigelia will help you improve the flowering and growth of your weigelia.
Planting weigelia is an important step because it conditions the growth and beautiful flowering of your shrub.
It's better to plant weigelia in the fall to promote rooting before winter and therefore guarantee better recovery.
You can plant until spring, even in summer in a not too hot climate, weigélias bought in containers or pots. However, avoid periods of frost or hot weather.
- Weigelia loves sunny situations, see slightly shaded, to flower well.
- It is a shrub that appreciates well-drained soils and dread those who are full of water.
- Follow our planting tips to properly plant your shrub.
The easiest and fastest way to propagate your weigelia is by cuttings. It's not the easiest shrub to cut, but it can be done.
- The cuttings take place in early summer, on year-old shoots that have not flowered.
- Take twigs of 15-20 cm
- Remove the bottom leaves to keep only the last 2 pairs of leaves.
- Soak the base in cutting hormone (optional but highly recommended for weigelia)
- Place the cuttings under cover in special cutting soil.
- Water to keep the substrate moist.
- Here is the technique of shrub cuttings .
Pruning and caring for weigelia
Once properly installed, weigelia requires very little care and maintenance.
Properly prune the weigelia:
When planting, prune the tips to promote branching, which will allow the weigelia to densify later.
Then, maintenance pruning helps maintain a compact habit and promotes flowering year after year.
- Wait for the end of flowering to prune.
- Cut the stems that gave flowers of about twenty centimeters.
- Find our shrub pruning tips.
To have a very beautiful weigelia:
The contribution of a universal fertilizer in the spring will improve the growth, flowering and will return the magnificent foliage.
This technique is also useful for weigelia which is not flowering or which no longer flowers.
Indeed, over the years the substrate becomes depleted and needs nutrients.
All you need to know about weigelia
Very beautiful shrub with generous and abundant flowering, weigelia attracts attention with its beauty as well as the pink and white color of its flowers.
Easy to maintain, it will find its place perfectly in a flower bed, in isolation or in a hedge of various shrubs.
We can also cultivate the weigélia in pot or container on a terrace or balcony. Growing weigelia in pots provides a colorful and fragrant note.
This shrub is renowned for its resistance to diseases and insects, although it is sometimes prone to mealybug attacks.
This avoids the use of treatment products and you will therefore participate in the protection of your environment!
Interesting varieties of weigelia:
- Rusticity with the Weigelia ‘Brigela’ : Particularly rustic, it resists up to -20 °
- Sustainable flowering with Weigelia ‘Bristol Ruby’ : long summer flowering and very beautiful deep red
- Weigelia Carnival ’ : pretty flowering variegated with white, pink and red
- The liveliness with the Weigelia ‘Red Prince’ : very beautiful bright red and decorative
- Smart tip about weigelia:
A mulching during summer prevents the growth of weeds and the evaporation of water after watering.
- For any specific questions regarding Weigelia, feel free to open a discussion on the forum
- Also find hundreds of advice sheets on all plants with all the information, diseases, "tips and tricks" to properly care for your plants.
Weigelia, an excellent hedge shrub:
- Create a flowering hedge
- Shrub flowering calendar
- Everything you need to know about creating a free hedge